#BCTECHSummit 2019: Are you ready to navigate a new age of innovation?
The 2019 #BCTECHSummit is only three days away. It is Western Canada’s largest annual A new method, idea or product. event, and with over 70 sessions and events happening over the course of three days, sometimes you just need someone else to tell you about everything you can’t miss.
Thanks to Raghwa Gopal, Innovate BC’s President + CEO, who has done that work for you:
“The world is changing at an unprecedented rate, with new realities introduced every day. Emerging technologies like artificial intelligence, robotics, quantum, 5G, blockchain, and augmented and mixed reality are transforming industries here and across the globe. People and organizations are leveraging innovation to create business value and make life better for people—and leading the way are B.C. companies who are at the forefront of developing solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges.
Nowhere else will this be more evident than at the upcoming #BCTECHSummit, taking place March 11-13th, 2019 in Vancouver. Hosted by Innovate BC and the Province of B.C., the 2019 #BCTECHSummit brings together Science or knowledge put into practical use to solve problems or invent useful tools. leaders, industry executives, investors, senior government officials, researchers and students to connect and share insights, experiences and opportunities.
Now in its 4th year, the event will welcome 3,500 full delegates, 150 speakers, 150 exhibitors, 100 investors, and international attendees from 15 countries. Here’s a snapshot of everything that I’m excited about.
Global corporations from diverse sectors
The #BCTECH Summit is where industry meets innovation and is drawing participation from an impressive roster of multinationals and world-class brands including top sponsors Rogers Communications, Microsoft, Telus, IBM, Fujitsu, WeWork, Lyft, Best Buy, Electronic Arts, Lenovo, LinkedIn, GE Digital, MEC, Finning Digital, CGI and more.
Speakers and sessions that transcend industries
The goal this year was to make the program as diverse and engaging as possible, and the Innovate BC team delivered with more than 50 sessions organized into tailored content streams: Scaling Up, Harnessing Data, Sustainability, and Future Realities. What’s more, we added three new session types:
- Masterclasses, new hyper-focused sessions where A person with extensive knowledge or ability based on research, experience, or occupation and in a particular area of study. share rare insights into business strategies and successes.
- Workshops, micro-courses with learning outcomes and practical takeaways. (I’m looking forward to hearing Fundraising Strategies for New and Experienced Entrepreneurs.)
- Innovation Challenges, where industry and government will pitch their business problems to B.C.’s brightest technology solution providers and researchers. See whose buying tech right now.
New and returning opportunities to connect, explore and learn
From the senior in high school to the senior executive to the senior citizen, 2019 delegates are diverse, and they can look forward to:
- Regional Houses, six distinct, on-site hubs that will showcase how technology is driving growth and innovation across the province. (I hear the Kootenay folks are throwing an epic party.)
- The largest showcase of innovation and game-changing technologies in the Innovation Marketplace, A company initiated by individual founders or entrepreneurs to search for a repeatable and scalable business model. Village, Academic Alley and Reality Zone.
- Investment opportunities through the Investment Showcase, giving investors the chance to meet with the rising stars of B.C.’s tech industry. Check them out here.
Activities that bring together our extended innovation community
From social impact to industrial innovation, the Summit brings together a wide breadth of sectors that are all focused on innovation as an underlying growth factor for BC’s economy. There are many side events that will complement conference programming and require separate registration. Highlights include:
- Growing the Bioeconomy: Bio-Source Materials for High-Tech Applications
- Women Who Tech: Leaders Shaping The Future of Innovation
- B.C. Startup in Residence Demo Day
- BootCamp BC: Hyperledger Indy and the Verifiable Organizations Network
- Collaborative Innovation: Boost Your Company’s Competitive Advantage
- Trust Machine: Exclusive Canadian Film Premiere by RightMesh
- How Women Are Taking a Leadership Role in Industry 4.0 Among the Americas
- #BCTECHSummit Job Fair
Read about and register for these activities on the 2019 #BCETCHSummit website.
When the talks stop, the parties start
Each night at this year event, we’re opening up the action to everyone, even if you’re not a full #BCTECHSummit delegate. Join me at:
- #BCTECHSumit Opening Party (March 11)
- Nerd Nite: #BCTECHSummit Edition Sponsored by Unbounce (March 12)
- A Night at the Health and Technology District (March 12)
- #BCTECHSummit Official Closing Party at Spaces Gastown (March 13)
Buy tickets to these activities on the 2019#BCTECHSummit website.
After consecutive sold-out events, the 2019 #BCTECH Summit will continue to raise the profile of British Columbia as the place in Canada to explore, build and invest. With more than 10,000 tech companies across the province employing 100,000 people, B.C. has become the new tech hub for global companies and is creating several home-grown successes, including Bench, Article, Cloudhead Games, Ayogo and Copperleaf.
Where industry meets innovation
Businesses are recognizing that technology is everywhere and revolutionizing every part of our economy—so this year we’re empowering conference attendees to discover and learn how emerging technologies can be harnessed to solve global problems, benefit British Columbians in all regions of our province, and enable the industries and jobs of the future.
It’s been under a month since I’ve been on the job as Innovate BC’s president and CEO, and I couldn’t be more impressed with what I’ve seen, not just from the team here, but from everyone in B.C.’s extended innovation community. I’m looking forward to seeing you all next week!”